About the Department
The Department of Microbiology was established in the year 1996. The Department has been very consistent in producing top university ranks. The department has well equipped laboratories to catter to the UG, PG, and M.Phil students. Qualified and experienced faculties act as a backbone to the department in providing top quality education. The Department strongly believes that preparing students for the competitive world not only requires academic excellence but also to a great extent produce a morally and ethically sound students. To enhance exposure the students are encouraged for industrial visits, internships, project works and are motivated to participate in a whole panel of extracurricular and co-curricular activities. The key areas of research include nanotechnology, enzyme biotechnology, Pharmacology, herbal technology, Gene sequencing, Bio-plastics and many more.
Scope of Microbiology
Microbiology is a thriving field that provides good prospects for qualified workers. A concrete foundation of the science is needed. Microbiology majors purses courses such as Virology, microbial physiology, Immunology, General microbiology and Microbial Physiology, Microbial Genetics, Molecular Biology.
Microbiologist will be needed by many companies, from chemical companies to food producers, to was sent product quality and production effectiveness. To find more clean sources of energy, microbiologists will be involved in industries which research and develop alternate energy sources such as biomass and biofuels.
Further microbiologists are needed in agriculture to help in developing genetically engineered crops that gives superior yields and involve very minimal use of fertilizers and pesticides. Several opening in public health and avenues to preserve environment are open for medical Microbiologist and Microbial ecologists respectively. Microbiologist are on the cutting edge of research in hospitals, clinics, Industries, Universities and Governments.
Employability in / Job opportunities
- Health care
- Industries – Pharmaceuticals, Mineral water, Food, Petrochemical
- Environmental Organizations
- Higher Education
- Forensic Science
- Research and Development Organization.
Higher Studies Prospects
- M.Sc in Microbiology, Applied Microbiology, Medical Microbiology, Industrial Microbiology, Food technology, Agricultural Microbiology.
- M.S – Genetics, Immunology, Molecular biology
- PG Veterinary Medicine
Activities and Events
- Hands on mushroom cultivation
- Industrial visits to Aavin, Jeppiyar, PASIC to enhance the Students knowledge
- Carrier scope advice and visiting the process by Biofertilizer activities, Vermiculture on Thanthai Hans Roever College
- Expo on Microbiology Clinical experiment like Blood grouping, Heamatological Studies.
- Designing the bioreactor model and making demos
- Workshop on bioreactor modeling in National College, Trichy
- National level Seminar on Stem Cell therapies in Clinical Trials – Progress and Challenges
- Students eagerly participated and won many prizes in various conference and symposium conducted by various colleges.
- All our PG and M. Phil Students projects published in National and International Journals
- Staffs Published their papers in National and International Journals
B.Sc Microbiology is a 3 years full time undergraduate course in Microbiology. Eligibility for the course is 10 + 2 or an equivalent examination in a Science stream from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 55 % of marks.
Overall rank list
DEPARTMENT ACTIVITY LIST
|1||07.08.2018||Dengue Awareness program in our College|
|2||04.01.2018||UG final year students went to JEPPIAR Milk Industry for Industrial visit|
|3||29.01.2018||PG final year students and staffs presented papers and posters in State Level seminar on evolution of Microbes in Modern Era conducted by Shanmuga Industries Arts and Science College, Tiruvannamalai and won III price in Paper Presentation|
|4||16.03.2018||UG and PG final year students and staffs participated in National Conference (HAPTEN -18) organized by Arunai Engineering College|
|5||19.01.2018||Our department faculty C.Bhuvaneshwari attended Training program on AIDS control Awareness conducted by RRC cell of Thiruvalluvar University , Vellore|
|6||15.03.2018||Microfest 2018 conducted by our Department as Departmental Activity|
|7||27.08.2018||PG final year students and staffs participated and Presented posters in State level seminar on Bio resource Technology organized by KMG College of Arts and Science, Gudiyatham|
|8||26.09.2018||Our department conducted National Level Seminar on Stem cell Therapies in Clinical Trials – Progress and Challenges|
|9||19.12.2018||PG final year students and staffs presented papers and posters in State Level Symposium on Microbes a remedy for Environmental Pollutants conducted by Adiparasakthi College of Arts and Science, Kalavai and won III prize|
|10||27.02.2019||PG final year students presented papers and posters in State Level seminar of New Fangled Progression in Molecular Biology organized by Shanmuga Industries Art and Science College, Tiruvannamalai|
RANK HOLDER DETAILS : M.Sc MICROBIOLOGY
|S. NO||NAME OF THE STUDENT||YEAR OF PASSING||RANK|
|7||HEMA PRASHANTHI V||2015||2|
|10||USHA DEVI P||2016||1|
RANK HOLDER DETAILS: B.Sc MICROBIOLOGY
|S. NO||NAME OF THE STUDENT||YEAR OF PASSING||RANK|
|1||USHA DEVI P||2014||1|